News of the Week:
- Thank you so very much for the lovely feast and treats on Friday at the Faculty Appreciation Lunch in the Wood Room. This is always a very much looked-forward-to event in our school year!
- We will be going to Westminster again Monday, February 27th. If you are looking to clear out that closet, we appreciate any donations of clothing as well as the small hotel sized toiletry items.
- Reviewed place value (tenths and hundredths)
- Compared decimals, put them in order,
- How do inventions and technology affect your life?
- Genre: Historical Fiction
- Strategies and Skills: Make predictions and point of view
Williams– In addition to Wonders, New Novels! This week we began our novel study—a fantasy. Students are reading The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles, Castle in the Attic or The Mouse and the Motorcycle. Each is a highly imaginative story and a marvelous tale. It is said, The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles may have been an inspiration for newer fantasies such as Harry Potter.
Averyt – Our class will also be studying the genre of Fantasy in novel form for the rest of the quarter in addition to our regular Wonders reading program.. Students have been divided into small groups reading one of the following novels: The Mouse and the Motorcycle, by Beverly Cleary; The Castle in the Attic, by Elizabeth Winthrop; and The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles, by Julie Andrews Edwards.
- Pronoun-verb agreement
- Correct use of commas and quotation marks to mark direct speech in conversation
- All about U- oo, ew, u ue, ou, u_e
- Reinforced the grammar lesson looking closely at how writers show dialogue
- Practiced putting the tag (said _______ ) at the end, beginning, or in the middle of a quotation.
- Shared one of our personification pieces ( a perspective of a nonhuman object taking on human-like qualities)
- Continued our robotics unit. Ask your child about their progress.
- Read an article about black holes and discussed how they form.
- Watched a video about how supermassive black holes form and new technologies that are being developed to study black holes.
- Presented our health projects to others in the Lower School. Ask your child about how their presentations went.
We are nearly finished with explorers…finally!
- Explorers Quiz March 1st
- Initial explorations were made by John Cabot and Jacques Cartier looking for the northwest passage.
- The rise of the English naval power led to the defeat of the Spanish Armada.